Casualties from Earthquakes may be due to:
- Total or partial collapse of walls, buildings and bridges due to poor design and construction materials.
- Falling furniture, shattering glass windows and mirrors.
- Falling debris and dust from rubble.
- Transportation casualties due to collapse of bridges etc.
- Falling electricity lines.
- Broken gas lines.
- Floods from collapsed dams or river banks.
- Release of hazardous materials.
- Rock slides or landslides.
- Release of hazardous material.
- Exacerbation of chronic diseases.
Other Impacts of Earthquakes:
- Blockage or breakage of transport activities.
- Interruption of Water Supply.
- Breakage of Sewage Disposal Systems.
- Loss of Public Utilities, e.g. electricity & gas, and communications
back to top